from original letter)
– La Coruña – (Spain)
4 May 2002
rb bertomeu S.A.
C/ Templers, 7
D.D.R. (the initials in Spanish for Refinery, Distillation and
Recycling) is a co-generation plant belonging to the JEALSA-RIANXEIRA
Group. We have a Wartsila 12 V 46 B engine installed, producing
9.9 Mwe. The fuel used is F.O. No. 1, treated from the outset with the
additive "rb bertomeu"
The plant became operational in February 2001, and has currently
completed 5,500 hours in operation. Two inspections have been performed,
in alternate phases, the first at 2,000 hours and the second at 4,500
hours, in which we have observed the following:
- The operational parameters of the turbine compressors remain
constant, the supercharger pressure has maintained 2.7 bar, with 16,850
r.p.m. Data show that the manifold is free of soot incrustations.
Therefore, we do not foresee the need to intervene before a further
5,000 hours in operation have elapsed.
- In the case of the exhaust valves that have been removed, we have
observed the good condition of valve seats, valve baskets and valve
shafts. There was a complete absence of corrosion.
- The cylinder head seats and the piston heads show a low level of soot
incrustation and corrosion.
- The specific fuel consumption equals 200g / kWh(e).
- Cleaning is performed on double filters in the Fuel Booster module
every 300 hours.
- There is a low level of sludge in the fuel purification unit. Removal
and cleaning are carried out every 1,000 hours. The C.I.P. unit has
- In the lubricating oil there is a significantly reduced level of
pernicious metallic particles originating from the fuel used (e.g.
sodium, vanadium, and nickel).
I hereby certify and authorise this
information to be used as appropriate. Yours faithfully,
Marcos Puentes Paz
(Graduate in Naval Engineering)